Yesterday was a bit of a miserable day (weather wise) so in order to cheer myself up, I made stew. When I think of stew, and it is stew where I come from, not “scouse”, I think of my ma’s made with corned barf, I mean beef.
When I make stew I like it made with real meat!
What you will need to make my simple stew:
A LARGE pan, the bigger the better as my housemates always go back for seconds
A LARGE bag of spuds peeled and chopped into quarters – for the same reason
500 grams of mince – choose to your taste
Bisto / gravy granules
1. Peel and quarter your potatoes and put them in the bottom of the pan
2. Peel and chop your carrots, put them on top of the potatoes
3.Peel and chop the onions, put them on top of the carrots
4.Break up the mince with your fingers and layer that on top on the onions
5.Fill the pan about 3/4 full of boiling water and bring to the boil again
6. Once it is bubbling turn it down a little but keep an eye to make sure the liquid doesn’t overflow. You can cook this as quickly or slowly as you want.
7. Once the potatoes are soft you are ready for the gravy. Add the granules slowly as the stew will thicken up while stirriing
8. Ready to serve and ENJOY!
TIP – I eat mine with a few slices of bread and some red sauce on top
TIP from my boyfriend – “Don’t be put off by the colour!”