Baking has become a new pastime for me on my days off work. While it’s fun it might not be the best pastime to take up a couple of months before holidays! Anyway here’s what I made today…
Red Velvet Cake (with vanilla cream frosting)
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
450g caster sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
38ml red food colouring
1 tsp vanilla extract
500g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease 2 or 3 x 20cm/8in diameter cake tins and line with butter – this just depends on how many layers you want!
2. Beat the butter for a minute or so, until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all the ingredients are combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the cocoa, food colouring and vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl, then add to the butter mixture in three stages, alternating with the buttermilk and scraping down after each addition.
4. Bake for about half an hour until the cake is cooked right through. You can test it by sticking a knife in the middle. If it comes out clear you’re good to go.
5. I cheated when it came to the frosting and bought ready to use Betty Crocker’s vanilla buttercream. Put some on top of each cake and layer it up!
TIP – why not use this recipe for cupcakes instead? They make a great after dinner treat!