225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
finely grated zest 1 lemon
225g self-raising flour
FOR THE DRIZZLE TOPPING
juice 1½ lemons
85g caster sugar
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
3. Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
4.Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon. Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
6. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
P.S I’m sorry for my lack of pictures on this one. I was too busy eating the mixture this time round!