275g caster sugar
200ml sunflower oil
4 medium free-range eggs
about 300g grated carrot, a little more or less is fine
225g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the cheese frosting
125g unsalted butter, softened
125g full-fat cream cheese
275g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line or grease the cake tins.
2. Beat the sugar, oil and eggs in mixing bowl until smooth, then stir in the grated carrot.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and spices so that they’re evenly mixed, then tip this into the carrot mixture and stir well.
4. Fill the cake tins to about two-thirds full, then bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer poked in comes out almost clean.
5. For the frosting, make sure the butter is soft, then, using a whisk or electric mixer, beat it with the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth and light.
6. Stir in the icing sugar with a spoon until it begins to come together, then whisk again briefly until light and smooth. Pipe or spoon the frosting on each cake and sandwich together.