Halloween, like most holidays is an excuse to stuff yourself full with lovely things to eat.
In order to do my part for All Hallows’ Eve I decided to make some scarily cute cupcakes!
For the cakes…
100 grams plain flour
140 grams caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
40 grams unsalted butter (at room temperature)
120 ml whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing…
300 grams icing sugar
10 mms cold water
Orange food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 170C (325F) or Gas 3
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a large bowl and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consitency and everything is combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together. Slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula).
4. Add the other half and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.
6. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
7. When the cupcakes are cool, decorate with the icing using a piping bag however you wish.
These ghostly cupcakes are chocolate. Just add 20 grams of cocoa powder to the recipe and use the chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth.
I added orange food colouring to the icing to make the icing stand out. I got the other cake decorations at TK Maxx
Bun cases for that extra detail from Home Bargains
What are your plans for Halloween?