For the cupcakes…
60g cocoa powder
4 or 5 tablespoons boiling hot water
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g caster sugar
120g self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
50g white chocolate, shaved
For the buttercream icing…
100g dark chocolate, melted
60g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C / Gas mark 6. Line 2 – 12 hole bun trays with paper cases.
2. Sift the cocoa into a large bowl; add 4 tablespoons of boiling water and mix into a thick chocolate syrup, adding more water if you needed.
3. Add the softened butter, sugar, self-raising flour, baking powder and eggs. Mix with electric beaters until smooth and evenly mixed.
4. Spoon teaspoons of the mixture into the paper cases, filling them 3/4 full. Sprinkle the white chocolate shavings on top.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sponge mixture has risen and the cupcakes spring back when you touch them. Remove from the oven; cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the chocolate icing: Mix the melted chocolate and softened butter in a large bowl; sift in the icing sugar, beating with a spoon or an electric beater until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag and choose your desired piping nozzle.
7. Pipe buttercream icing evenly on top of each cupcake. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles or however you like.