For the sponge…
110g salted butter
115g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
120 ml buttermilk
290g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the buttercream…
120 grams chocolate – you can choose which colour you prefer
100 grams unsalted butter
100 grams icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan C/gas 4 and line one large tray with baking parchment.
2. Cream the butter and sugar using an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and beat well.
3. Mix the vanilla extract into the buttermilk. Add this mixture to the butter mixture and beat well until combined.
4. Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add half of this to the butter mixture and beat well.
Mix together the milk, and bicarbonate of soda and add this to the butter mixture. Beat to combine.
5. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat well to combine.
6. Pour the mixture onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until they are just beginning to brown and spring back when touched.
Instead of layering the pies, I used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the sponge after it had cooled for about 10 minutes.
7. Add all of the buttercream ingredients together and mix until you have the right consistency. Use a piping bag to place a little dollop on top of each heart.